Runs With Needles: I can purl!!!! (And I need an ark.)

Runs With Needles

Saturday, February 26, 2005

I can purl!!!! (And I need an ark.)

Yes, I did it!!! I CAN PURL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you see me dancing with joy?!?

Thank you to Kitt for the encouragement. And yes, Pioggia, all my blankets have been done without purling!

I credit my success to this website. I watched the purl video several times last night. Finally, on about the 6th or 7th run through the video, I said "A-ha!! I get it!!" and I grabbed my needles and started purling. That's really what happened, I couldn't believe it. I purled a bunch of rows and then I made a very snazzy stockinette swatch. I'm so proud of myself! :)

I was going to see if I could do simple ribbing, but I got distracted. By the sound of rushing water. To some people, this would not be a cause for alarm (if you live near a river or ocean, for example). However, I am in landlocked Colorado and we're in the middle of a drought.

The drain hose popped off the back of my washing machine and flooded my laundry room, half bathroom, morning nook, kitchen and a little bit of the (carpeted) living room. The water was also pouring out of the basement ceiling. What a mess!

So, from 11pm - 3am last night, I had the wet vac out and was cleaning up a big, freaking mess. I was able to fix the washing machine, so that's good. However, the water got into a couple heating ducts and broke them:


I've been talking with my Dad today and also sent him digital pictures of the damage. He thinks I will be able to fix this myself, so I am awaiting a Home Depot shopping list and instructions from him. (He lives on the other side of the country, so I'm on my own with this repair.)

So, my joy at learning to purl has been tempered by the flood. I've got the mess cleaned up and it's drying nicely, so I intend to knit for the rest of today. Goodness knows I need to relax!! I'm going to try ribbing today and I'll probably start a ribbed scarf in that new Cranberry yarn I bought for myself.

My sore throat and cough are worse today. Damn my co-workers who insist on coming to work sick!! I hate it when people do that and infect anyone else. So, I don't think I'll be attending the Stitch 'n Bitch meeting tomorrow. I don't want to give this to anyone else. I was really looking forward to it. Bummer.






2 comment(s):

OMG! You had a flood! I can't begin to imagine the language that would come out of me between the tears!
I hope it's not too cold there without the ducts.
CONGRATULATIONS on purling! See, you can do anything once you put your mind to it! I can already see we are not going to be able to hold you back now!
Can't wait to see photos!
Hugs,
Kitt

By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 26, 2005 1:04 PM  

I can remember the excitement I felt when I learned to purl. A neighbor girl who was about 6 years older than me was teaching me how to knit and after a couple weeks of garter stitch, we moved on to the purl stitch. I came running home from their farm to ours, and announced that I knew how to *PURL* - and stared at my needles because I couldn't remember.. I excused myself, walked back up the road for a refresher lesson and that time it stuck. I think I was about 8 at the time, which means that I've been happily stitching for over half a century.

Jane
http://plainjaneknits.blogspot.com/

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 01, 2005 11:00 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home