Runs With Needles: Saturday: It's not just for sky anymore.

Runs With Needles

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Saturday: It's not just for sky anymore.

It's for sky and cows.

Cows and sky

I've been working on the Log Cabin blankets, but needed a break. Specifically, my fingers needed a break. The long logs were making my fingers stiffen up.

To provide some immediate gratification, I am knitting squares for Samantha:

square for Samantha

That's the square for Samantha resting comfortably on my Samantha.

My almost deaf Samantha.

Samantha is 11 years old and has always been in good health. She has some minor arthritis, but has never shown her age; Up until the last few months.

Sam has always been my most obedient dog. She's the one I could control soley with my voice and even with the tone of my voice.

When Sam first started ignoring my commands, I thought she was just being stubborn. So I tested her. I sat behind her and whispered her favorite words in the world: "Do you want to go for a car ride?" Usually, this provoked unrestrained joy. This time, though, there was no response. She didn't even know I was behind her because she jumped when I touched her back.

In the grand scheme of things, a deaf dog is not a big deal. I would rather have her deaf than blind. I'm just making adjustments to accomodate her: no more letting her outside the fence (she used to hear the cars coming and steer clear), no more calling her to bed after I turn out the lights (I have to go and find her since she can't hear me calling her), no more sticking my head out the back door and calling her inside (if she's doesn't see me I have to go get her), etc. etc.

A deaf dog isn't a big deal.

It just makes me sad because it's a daily reminder that my precious girl is growing older.

5 comment(s):

All 4 of my guys are in and near geriatric status - Enjoy every moment you have with them!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 06, 2006 6:09 AM  

You Samantha is a sweetie ... very pretty. And what a fantastic name! :) I'm sorry to hear that she is going deaf. Does she understand hand signals? A friend of mine had a deaf dog (born deaf) and they taught it sign language.

The square is awesome!! Thanks!! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 07, 2006 7:37 AM  

Hey Kathy,

I have a nearly deaf dog; my 3 year old german shepherd, who is also nearly blind. Otto was a rescue from the Humane Society as a puppy, and he came that way. We have adapted to life with doggie disabilities, and it quite easy.
First of all make sure she can't escape. That's my main concern with Otto. We have a fenced in yard for him to play in. If I need to get his attention I'll whistle loudly. It's so funny to watch him, since he has no clue where the noise is coming from. When you're inside, try stomping your feet on the floor. Maybe Sam can learn to react to the vibration. I use some hand signals, but I have to exaggerate them due to Otto's poor eyesight. Get used to barking for no reason. Otto will all of a sudden register a sound and start barking like crazy.

All in all, it's not that hard to live with a (nearly) deaf dog. I'm sorry to hear that Sam is losing her hearing, but you'll both adapt quickly. Otto always lays at our feet. i think he feels safer that way. he also depends a lot on our other dogs, and will react to whatever they are doing.

` ellen

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 07, 2006 10:08 PM  

I really appriciate dogs! Can't stand cats, though! Also would like to have dog, but I am pretty irresponsible person (ask my kids) so it's better for dog not to have me as owner!
Also, when was younger (damn much younger) sis had Lassie - the first day we got her, our cat hurted her eye! Latter, Lassie and cat became friends, believe or not!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 08, 2006 3:48 PM  

Oh, poor Sam! I hate those kinds of changes, too. Hugs to all in your house who need one, furry or otherwise.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 08, 2006 4:53 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home