Runs With Needles: Friday the 13th

Runs With Needles

Friday, May 13, 2005

Friday the 13th

Finally, the end of a long, long week. I am in knitting withdrawal. I did make some progress this week, though.

First, the Crayola Blanket:



And the close up:



I really like how the Crayola Blanket is coming along. It's kind of a pain to knit, but the end result is well worth it.

The Good and Plenty shawl is finished!





What: Good and Plenty shawl
Yarn: Lion Brand Homespun, 2.5 skeins each of Boston Rose and Edwardian
Needles: 17, circular
Lesson Learned: This shawl knitted up quickly and without any drama.

This shawl is the first item that I've kept for myself. I'm enjoying it and am very happy I decided to make a shawl. I didn't think I was a shawl type of person, but it's perfect for knitting and watching TV.

This afternoon, I enhanced my stash:



That blue yarn is to go with my other Bernat Baby yarn to make a blanket for J's baby. Here's the color scheme:



These are also her nursery colors, so as soon as I figure out a pattern, I'll get this on the needles. Anyone have any pattern ideas? I need something simple, since my brain seems to have gone on vacation without me.

The other yarn in my stash enhancement picture is Sassy Stripes . I found it at Michaels and it was on sale: 50% off ($3 a skein). Yay! I've been wanting to try self-striping yarn for a while now, but I'm too damn cheap to buy it. I'm thinking this yarn will be a scarf for Warm The World.

Tomorrow morning the Knitters With Altitude are meeting and I'm going to join them. This is only their second meeting and my first meeting. I admit, this is going to be nervewracking for me. I'm actually a shy person when I first meet someone. Once I know someone, I don't shut up, but around strangers, I'm just a little mouse. I am looking forward to going. I can't wait to be around other knitters!

If you're in the Springs area tomorrow and want to join us, we'll be at the Academy and Vickers Pikes Perk. The knitting begins at 9. I'm sure I won't roll in until at least 9:30, since I'm a chronically late person. (Yes, I know it's not a good trait and trust me, I'm working on it. :) )

Jenifer tagged me, but it's with a meme that I was already tagged with. :( Scroll down for my answers, Jenifer. Feel free to tag me with something else!

In non-knitting news, look what I got from Freecycle!



A breadmaker! I found my first breadmaker at a yard sale a couple years ago and fell in love with it. Then, last year, it committed suicide by hurling itself off the kitchen counter. I don't know why the breadmaker was suicidal, but it was an ugly, ugly death. I only paid $5 for it, but was crushed that I couldn't make bread anymore and my budget didn't allow for a new one. Finally, last week, I got smart and asked for one on Freecycle. Three days later, I brought this beauty home! So now I can start making my own bread again. It's doesn't take much to make me happy.

5 comment(s):

Have fun at Pikes Perk! I hope to be joining you next time around :)
That shawl looks gorgeous, very soft I bet.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 14, 2005 8:25 AM  

Hi Kathy,

I love the Sassy Stripes yarn that you bought. I also bought that a few months ago for my first pair of socks (1 skein per size 7 women's single sock, with enough yarn left over to make a preemie hat). If you are planning on making socks, keep in mind that this yarn is 100% acrylic and does not let sweat out, so it is best used for bed socks.

If you're using it for a garment, on the free patterns section at Michael's in the store, there are patterns for a hat and a sweater available. It looks like you have enough yarn for a hat/scarf set or almost one small sweater.

Good luck in whatever you decide to make!

Alicia

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 14, 2005 3:15 PM  

I love the good plenty shawl looks so comfortable!

Amanda

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 14, 2005 7:30 PM  

Cathy! Were you the one who came in just before I left? *g* I was hoping to meet you. I was the really really beginner doing the exasperating red eye-lash scarf.

Are they going to meet every week?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 15, 2005 8:27 AM  

I thought that I'd seen that meme here ... it's hard to keep track of all the memes going around! I'll catch you on another one though ... :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 19, 2005 11:10 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home