Runs With Needles: No knitting, just a science geek venting.

Runs With Needles

Monday, September 26, 2005

No knitting, just a science geek venting.

This is scary. Damn scary.

As I've mentioned before, I'm trained as a biologist and I've studied evolution extensively. My unwavering belief in evolution is directly related to my atheism.

If someone believes in Creationism, more power to them.

However, calling Creationism science is wrong. Creationism is a belief system. It is not science. Anyone who calls it science has obviously never heard of scientific theory. Or if they have, they don't understand it.

There is a generation of children being raised with no understanding of evolution. The schools are scared shitless to even mention it. This is wrong.

If someone wants to teach their child Creationism, that's fine. Teach it at home, in church or in a religious school. Keep it out of public school.

Evolution should be taught in public school. It's science.

And if someone is threatened by evolution being taught to their child? Well, that just tells me that their beliefs aren't very strong to begin with.

5 comment(s):

It's scary, this undermining of scientific evidence and methodology. And heck, "intelligent" design is simply a "god of the gaps" type theory - i.e. we don't understand how it could be done, so it must be God. 100, 200 years from now, as our scientific knowledge increases, where's the room for the designer then?

As a Christian, I also believe strongly in science and evolution. And things like this get me just as riled up as you.

Science geeks unite!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 26, 2005 10:11 AM  

I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory, myself. I don't know why our schools aren't teaching it. :D

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 26, 2005 12:27 PM  

This is, as always, a stupidity thing in my mind.

I think of it this way. I hate square dancing. Therefore, I don't go to square dancing classes and insist they teach knitting.

Why in the hell do parents who want their children to learn creationism send their children to public school? That's what religious school is for-- to teach children religious teachings.

Otherwise, I say, suck it up buttercup, and let the kiddies learn about evolution or any other scientific method of how we all were created.

Personally, I prefer the Iroquois Creationism Theory. That's the one which states the universe was created on the back of a turtle. Damn good teaching right there. And, you only need to eat one peyote button to understand it!

Ahem. I'm such a Modified Libertarian. I don't believe our government should be involved in the education of our young people. They're screwing it up. Children should be educated, and parents should pay for it. Each parent would send their child to XXX school. I'd do away with a lot of the 'general ed' bs, and get into the target training of kids. Come on, not all kids are rocket scientists or brain surgeons, let's nip that hope right in the bud.

My approved curriculums would be:

Garbage Collecting and You 101
Getting those Floors Buffed to Show the Panties of the Girlies as they Walk on them

Well, you get my sick and twisted idea.

If people want to send their kids to public school, teach them NON-religious teachings. Otherwise, teach them the creation theories of ALL religions.

Including mine.

Feliciaism.

Each child will have to down three shots of tequilla, then the course study of how we all got here will begin. 95% of each student's grade will be based on participation, any kid who tosses his/her tequilla will automatically fail.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 26, 2005 4:47 PM  

Dumb me. When I first read the news piece, I was thinking the SCHOOL was sending the kids to the museum.

If the parents want to hook the kidlets up to this guy's star, pay the five bones to let him spin his yarn about the dinosaurs-- more power to them.

Personally, I wouldn't ruin it for my child (if I had one.)

Yes, dear, T-Rex was in the Bible, he just wasn't mentioned by name.

Do you see now why the local priest in my parish are sick of me saying "Got a minute, Father, I gotta a question?"

They can't answer me. They don't want to answer me. They just want me to

Pay and Pray.

This is why religion should be a personal thing, kept outta school, courthouses, politics, hell-- even outta church!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 26, 2005 4:58 PM  

oh yeah, that IS scary, but then, they're not your children are they? I don't think kids should be objected to any kind of religion until they can understand and CHOSE what they want. I never baptized my kid for exactly that reason. He can go get baptized if he choses to. Myself I was a tad upset when I realized all the consequences that baptism had in Germany, you even had to pay church tax right out of your paycheck! Needless to say I left church right then and there....
But I really don't worry cause that's everybodies own decision what they wanna go for, no?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 27, 2005 5:53 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home