Runs With Needles: Misdiagnosis

Runs With Needles

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Misdiagnosis

Remember a few posts ago when I said I had Startitis?

I was wrong.

I have knitting ADD.

I have started more projects.

Here is a Booga bag:


And Roger:


The still unamed socks that I have started FOUR times because I'm too dim to do K1P1:



And a shawl which I will cast on soon:



I have made progress on the Falling Leaves Blanket:


Speaking of the Booga bag, I have been wanting to make one of these for forever. However, one line in the pattern kept stopping me: "Knit 5-6 feet of i-cord."

Five to six FEET of i-cord? I would rather gouge my eyes out with flaming dpn's than knit that much i-cord. The three feet that I knit for my little green bag damn near killed me.

I know that there's no law that says you have to use i-cord on Booga, but I do love the look of it. I just hate knitting it.

Anyway......I dove into the Booga bag, hoping I would learn to love i-cord by the time I had to knit it.

And no, it didn't work.

So, this evening I dragged myself to Hobby Lobby to buy some 10.5 dpn's. As I was looking for the needles, something called my name. I turned, and saw this:




It's an i-cord factory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that's not the offical name, but trust me. That's what it is.

It was only $6 more than the dpn's, so I grabbed it and damn near skipped out of the store.

All the way home I was fretting. I'm a bit of a major cheapskate and this was a lot of money for something I could do by hand. I worried my way over the 40+ miles home.

I needn't have worried. I am in love with this thing!!! I made this much i-cord:



in LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was worth every cent that I paid. I-cord is fun! I *heart* i-cord!

(Note to the KWA-ers, if you need to make i-cord, I will be happy to share. :) )

Also at Hobby Lobby, I found this:



And promptly turned it into a dpn case:



(Another note to my knit group: if any of you want these buttons, let me know. I have no use for them.)

I'm excited about this weekend. I plan on making it to knit group on both Saturday and Sunday.

Sunday will be sad, though. We will be saying goodbye to Ann. She's moving away. Hopefully it's only for a few months because she will be missed.

Lots.

Kishka was being really cute tonight, so I snapped a picture. Unfortunately, I take pictures about as well as I K1P1:

6 comment(s):

Oh, girlfriend, TOTALLY bring the i-cord factory to KWA on Sunday.

I need one of those puppies. Yeah, the i-cord maker and your i-cord model!!!

Nothing wrong with Knitting ADD. I just realized I've been buying little bags to put individual projects I've started in. I've got a couple of "comp" bags from work, currently storing some of my WIPS.

A healthy amount of WIPS means you'll never be lonely. That's my philosophy. I should turn that into a knitter's tattoo!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 29, 2005 9:22 PM  

GAAAHHH!!! I have GOT to get me one of those factory things! I did my first I-Cord this week, only 3 feet, and thought I might have to give up knitting if more of that was involved.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 30, 2005 1:05 PM  

You know what "I-cord" stand for, right? Idiot cord... b/c only an IDIOT would knit 6 feet of i-cord. Oh wait... I did for my booga bag. oh hell, I am an idiot... why didn't I buy one of those?! Very cool... and the bag looks great too.

Melanie

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 30, 2005 6:23 PM  

I love that i-cord thingy. It was a great buy.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 03, 2005 7:19 PM  

Ok... why didn't Bloglines ever tell me about this new post? I only found it because I wanted to check something from a previous post.

Funny... I was going to mention that gadget when you started talking about how much you hate i-cord. I don't totally hate it (not that I love it, I just thought of it as easy mindless knitting), but MAN! for that kind of time savings, next time I need i-cord, I'll borrow yours (or buy one for me... I'm sure the kids would love it). I can spend the rest of my i-cord time on knitting that's way, WAY more fun.

Oh, and just as something to mention... I love the way the i-cord handles look on the Booga Bag, too... but they REALLY make it much less usable, because the amount of opening you can stick stuff through gets much smaller. If I make another, it will be bigger, and have a different handle treatment.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 04, 2005 9:44 AM  

I haven't made I-Cord...but I *heart* that I-Cord Factory! I haven't made a felted bag, but now I might...
Have missed you Kathy - email me?
(((hugs)))

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 06, 2005 9:42 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home