Runs With Needles: Frolic like you've got no sense

Runs With Needles

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Frolic like you've got no sense

Wow. I had some awesome feedback on my Crayola Blanket. Thank you! To answer Kelly's questions: I'm using Red Heart Grande yarn in the color Wow. Yes, I did invent the pattern myself. It's 5x5 ribbing. I've only knitted a couple more rows on this blanket.




Most of my knitting lately has been on the Jolly Green Blanket:



I really like this pattern. Simple, but very nice looking. I think I'm going to make a Homespun shawl using this same pattern. I bought some Homespun in the colors Boston Rose and Edwardian, with the intention of making myself a blanket. The recent blizzard (accompanied by two day power outage) persuaded me that I need a shawl instead. The shawl will commence as soon as I figure out what size needles to use. (Super big or more normal sized?)

Speaking of Homespun, have you seen the new colors they're coming out with? Candy Apple Red, Olive and Fuschia....oh my! Spring Green, Cotton Candy and Lavender.....oh yay! I really love Homespun and these new colors are wonderful.

Here's a blast from the past:



The Purple Blanket!! After the disaster several weeks ago, I was no longer inspired to knit this blanket. My inspiration has returned. My love for this blanket has been reignited and I want to knit this blanket all the time now.

I was watching American Idol last night and the contestants sang songs from the year they were born. I felt really old. I remember when most of them came out! "Everytime You Go Away" reminded me of my Paul Young crush back when I was 12. :: swoon :: (Where is Paul Young these days, anyway?)

Remembering these songs reminded me of a question I've seen asked on some non-knitting blogs: How would your 17 year old self react to your current life?

For me, it's a two-fold answer. The initial response would be "Holy shit! What happened? This isn't how life is supposed to be!" Upon further reflection, though, I'm sure my 17 year old self would be impressed at what I've done and how I'm living my life. It's not what I expected, but it's a wonderful life that I'm living. :)

To those of you with blogs (and inclined to participate), I will ask you: How would your 17 year old self react to your current life? If you answer, drop me a comment so I can see your response.

6 comment(s):

Hi Kathy!
Love the Jolly Green Giant blanket!
Not knowing what size you're using needles you're using on it and not knowing how "lacy" you want the shawl, maybe swatch out on z size 10 or 13 and see how you like it.
To your question, great idea you got going! I'll answer it on my blog! Just gotta remember what year that was!
Oh, I'm very upset Nadia got booted, I felt Scott should of went and Bo did a horrible Freebird!
Hugs!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 13, 2005 11:02 PM  

How funny! That 17-year-old question is the question I asked people on their MeMe challenge that was going around! I wonder how it ended up on non-knitting blogs? I never thought about answering it myself...

I love Homespun too... I have some pink that I think I'll make a blanket for Itty out of.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 14, 2005 6:20 AM  

Love the Crayola blankie...love it!! I know I wrote that already but I just love it!! Am I being redundant? LOl!! Anyway if you are ever thinking of sharing the pattern please let me know.
I will answer this question on my blog too. Just give me a minute!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 14, 2005 7:16 AM  

I made a couple small blankets like that a while back. I loved them. Watching yours make progress makes me want to join in the fun.

Hmmm. My 17 year old self would probably be fairly pleased. Great guy and good job. I think I'd be surprised I was able to get my head out of my arse and turn out ok.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 14, 2005 11:43 AM  

Love your blankets. I'm glad you picked up the purple one again. It's so pretty, it deserves to be finished.

My 17 yo self would be very, very surprised. Not overall disappointed, but maybe a little afraid: I was very ill a few years ago. Boy I'm glad I did not realize what was coming until it hit me.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 14, 2005 3:34 PM  

Check out www.shawlministry.com for a really simple pattern for the Homespun yarn shawl using size 11 needles - it'll get you started, then come take the class Kitt & I are taking from Needlecraft U. It'll be fun and it's not expensive! I'll answer your 17 year old question on my blog! Cool idea - and you KNOW I love your Crayola blanket!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 16, 2005 4:58 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home