Runs With Needles: Got needles?

Runs With Needles

Friday, October 21, 2005

Got needles?





If you’ve read my blog for any length of time, or perused my sidebar, then you know that I knit most of my projects for Warm The World .

Some highlights from their website (reprinted with permission):

“Warm the World is a privately-funded organization with 501(c)3 nonprofit status.”

“With the economic challenges many of us face, people simply do not have the resources to donate completed quilts or afghans. Not to worry, Warm the World solicits donations of material goods to supply to our volunteers making it no cost to volunteers.”

“Another benefit of working with Warm the World, we have no size, pattern or time requirements. You pick the pattern, size, color, and work on it at your leisure. We refuse no one and novices are encouraged to join the fun.”

Every dollar donated goes directly to supporting our organization—we have NO paid employees. Our group is different than most, because we provide all the material to our volunteers, it does not cost them anything except their time.”

Does this sound too good to be true?

It’s not.

I’ve met Nan, the founder of Warm The World and have even done some investigating on my own. :) Nan runs a first class organization and is helping so many people.

And now, Nan needs help. Our help.

Nan has the yarn and the knitters. She just needs needles.

Nan asked me to assist her in rounding up knitting needles and so I’m turning to you: my blog friends.

I’m sure you have knitting needles that you no longer use.

Maybe it’s those aluminum straight needles that you bought when you were just learning.

Maybe you scored a whole bunch of needles at a yard sale and don’t use most of them.

Perhaps you’re like me: you have a ton of circular needles but use your Denise or Needlemaster sets for all of your knitting.

Whatever needles you have lying around are needed by Warm The World. By donating just one set of needles, you will enable someone to knit a blanket for Warm The World.

If you have more than one set, that’s even better!

Please, contact me at: runswithneedles at gmail dot com . I’ll help you get your needles to Nan.

To make this more fun, I decided to add a contest twist to my donation plea. What knitter doesn’t love a blog contest?

For every set of needles you donate to Warm The World, your name will entered into a drawing. Donate one set of needles and you’ll be entered once. Donate ten sets of needles and you’ll be entered ten times.

The prizes? (And yes, there will be several skeins of yarn given away!)

Hand dyed yarn from Crazy Monkey Creations!

Please, check out your needle stash and see what you can donate.




3 comment(s):

What a great charity! You talked me into it, I promise to look through my piles, which I am supposed to be tidying up this weekend anyway, and will let you know what I have rounded up. Thanks for putting up the plug for a great group.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 21, 2005 9:37 PM  

That's a great idea ... I'd love to participate, but as a new(ish) knitter I don't even have one full set of needles yet ... which means no doubles. Sorry!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 25, 2005 7:37 AM  

I'm glad you posted about the needle drive again...

I will be moving soon and will have lots of needles to donate. Is there a deadline? Not for the contest but for the drive itself. :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 27, 2005 7:20 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home